Subject: Ian Protheroe Author: Mark Sutherland Date: 6/27/2004 6:18:22 PM IP: 203.190.76.33
Reply to this message
Has anyone trained under Ian Protheroe? He was a student of William Cheung in the 1980s in Melbourne (Australia) before relocating to Queensland to teach. After falling out with William Cheung, he travelled to Hong Kong where he claims he was taught by the masters there. Two different interpretations of wing chun. Yet when you see him in magazines, he demonstrates just like William Cheung.
Subject: Re: Ian Protheroe Author: Harry Polychoronos Date: 6/30/2004 12:46:59 AM IP: 203.190.76.26
Reply to this message
You are right in that he trained in the system of william cheung and after leaving(?),he travelled to Hong Kong. Personally, I think that he is full of shit though. Why did he train in Hong Kong and seek recognition when he had studied traditional wing chun (which is said to be superior)? Saw some ofhis studentsteaching in Brisbane inthe early-mid 1990s and to be honest, they were notofthe standard of either William Cheung's students or other lineages.
Subject: Re: Ian Protheroe Author: Jerome Smith Date: 7/2/2004 5:08:20 PM IP: 203.190.76.26
Reply to this message
No disrespect to Sifu Ian, but what he teaches looks like traditional wing chun, but with a few changes. Not thatmuch different. Seen a few of his classes and then was given one of his books as a present.
Subject: Re: Ian Protheroe Author: Ian Protheroe Date: 7/3/2004 10:19:53 PM IP: 203.190.76.10
Reply to this message
I am Ian Protheroe and I find all this talk rather unsettling and upsetting.

I trained under Wiliam Cheung in Melbouren and eventually moved north to Queensland for several reasons. Primarily , I wanted to teach wing chun and how could I do that in Melbourne with William teaching and with his other better skilled students also teaching? Who would have come totrain with me? No students, equals no money! Also, I am not the most handsome guy and I wanted to meet some chicks,so Queensland sunshine and beaches meant more girls.

After breaking from William, I travelled to Hong Kong inan attempt to authenticate my teachings and to try and learn some new materialto buff my syllabus. Is this wrong? I do not think so, as I am giving my students are better syllabus than what I was taught. If they are happy with what I am teaching that means that I can still maintain my kwoon.

Folow your own destiny and leave me and my teaching alone. We are all diiferent and it is like music. Some like rap , while others like Frank Sinatra.
Subject: Re: Ian Protheroe Author: Alfredo Date: 7/5/2004 3:14:29 PM IP: 203.190.76.26
Reply to this message
Has anyone really seen his demos and performances? He is a low level practitioner of wing chuin and it is evident in the way that he moves
Subject: Re: Re: Ian Protheroe Author: just me Date: 7/6/2004 6:30:58 AM IP: 64.12.116.13
Reply to this message
this also applies to phil holder.he really stinks.and to a few other that i just won;t get into now.
Subject: Re: Re: Re: Ian Protheroe Author: Turk Date: 7/11/2004 10:54:19 PM IP: 80.189.126.130
Reply to this message
William Cheung should stay away from Turks as far as possible.
Subject: Re: Re: Re: Re: Ian Protheroe Author: Benny Pollock Date: 8/2/2004 8:39:40 PM IP: 203.190.76.29
Reply to this message
Ian was one of the worst guys training at the wing chun academy William Cheung was running in Corrs lane in the 1980s. It was actually funny watching him try and spar the other senior students becvause they used to kick him around like there was no effort. Go train with Alfredo DelBroco in Queensland. At least he trained under Rick Spain who was the nest wing chun student of William Cheung.
Subject: Re: Ian Protheroe Author: Tony Desmond Date: 9/12/2004 11:20:47 AM IP: 203.190.76.30
Reply to this message
Ian is someone who trys to prtomote himself in teh Australian martial arts magazines as being an authority on th ewing chun system. Ho Wing Ho who was a student of Stephen Chan moved around with Ian, he had absolutely no trouble pushing him around the garage they were training in. After there encounter, Mr Ho actually commented that Ian possessed very low skills. Alfredo del Broco is far better skilled in the wing chun system